Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wacom Bamboo Stylus and Adobe Eazel for iPad = Optimized Mark-making Experience

I've been recently experimenting with two soon-to-be-released iPad-related items: Adobe Eazel and the Wacom Bamboo Stylus for iPad. Used together, these tools offer tablet-based artists a superior mark-making experience.


One of my early concerns while participating in the pre-release cycle for Eazel was the requirement to use a five-finger gesture to call up the user interface (color selection, brush size, opacity, options). I prefer to use a stylus with the iPad and reliance on the five-finger gesture impeded my workflow. Thankfully, the engineers incorporated a single tap in the image corner to call up a persistent UI that appears for adjustments until a another single tap on the image dismisses it. With this optional mechanism in place, it is now effortless to incorporate a stylus into the workflow.

Click image to view larger

The Bamboo stylus has a very nice feel in the hand. It has some weight to it (20 grams) and is nicely balanced, making this stylus very comfortable to use over extended periods. Another big plus is the stylus tip: At 6mm in width, Wacom claims that this stylus is 25% narrower than others on the market. This slim tip profile provides an excellent sense of precise placement.

On another note, last week my 3-year-old MacBook Pro bit the dust (logic board failure). I ordered a new Quad-core Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro, which should offer quite a performance enhancement over my now-dead machine. As soon as I'm back up and running at full power, I will be producing an over-the-shoulder look at these new tools. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I am a IPad newbie John! mine should be here next week, can hardly wait to try it out and paint a bit!
    Looks like too much fun!

    Warm wishes,
    Karen Bonaker

    ReplyDelete